Phone Number 3067636090
Division First Student Canada
Req ID 44145
Transit Driver is responsible for ensuring the safe and on-time delivery and pick-up of client-passengers for First Canada, as well assisting the Operations staff in providing the service. They report to Operations, Transit Supervisors and Dispatchers
Now Offering a $1500 sign on Bonus! Bonus*
- Performs pre-trip inspection - visually checking tires, fluid levels, lights, flashers, brakes, gauges, mirrors, windows, transmission and vehicle body. Determines if bus is acceptable to drive.
- Completes a vehicle condition report and notifies mechanic of any defects. Does not leave the yard with a vehicle that has any defects that would compromise safety. Fuels bus as required.
- Obtains daily run changes from Dispatchers. Complies with alternative routing if regular schedule would be unsafe (inclement weather, major road construction, etc.) Safely drives bus to scheduled pick-up and drop off stops obeying all traffic laws.
- Ensures that safe loading and unloading procedures are followed at all times. Contacts dispatch via two-way radio if unsafe conditions develop while en route, or in the event of a breakdown. Completes and submits written activity and time reports as required.
- Exhibits professional courteous behaviour in all interactions with clients, caregivers, dispatchers, administrators or anyone in the general public. Maintains control of client/passenger activities on the bus to prevent any distractions or behaviours that could compromise safety.
- Directs the safe evacuation of the bus in the event of an emergency.
- Attends all required safety workshops and in-service training and education programs.
- Maintains valid driver's licence and immediately reports any changes in licence status which could affect personal qualifications or safe operation of required vehicle class licence.
- Conducts post-trip bus inspection and verifies that no articles have been left on the bus at the end of each route/day.
- Ensures bus is clean at all times and that aisleways are kept clear for safe access to emergency exits.
- Complies with City of Prince Albert Policies and Procedures and First Canada Policies
- Communication of and adherence to Injury Prevention (IP) standards.
Experience & Skills Required:
- High School Diploma
- Ability to clearly read, write and speak English language
- Minimum of 2-3 years commercial driving experience preferred but not necessary
- Clean drivers abstract and acceptable criminal record check
- Good knowledge of City streets, roadways, applicable laws and bylaws
- Exceptional interpersonal, communication and logical route selection
- Strong time management skills
Physical Requirements & Working Conditions
- Enter & exit vehicle via 3 stairs with handrail
- Complete walk around pre-trip inspection outside of bus
- Complete inside pre & post trip inspection walking up & down aisle
- Operate brake & throttle
- Operate wheelchair lift and secure wheelchairs
- Open & close passenger door manually with handle or push-button controls (newer bus)
- Evacuate bus in an emergency if needed
- Transit Bus and branch office and yard environment.
*Please see location for details, Bonus expires December 31st.
“We aspire to have a culture where all people are First. We strive to attract and retain a diverse workforce therefore all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. We encourage applications from women, persons with a disability, Indigenous peoples and members of a visible minority. First is an equal opportunity employer and by doing so we will sustain and promote an inclusive culture that supports future growth for all. First is committed to providing reasonable accommodation at all stages of the hiring process and encourage all applicants who may require such accommodation to let us know