Phone Number 773-579-2960
Division First Transit
Categories Maintenance Support
Req ID 43898
Become a Lot Attendant with First Transit!
Maintains and fuels all school buses, activity, and commercial buses in conjunction with First Transit’s
Maintenance Department: dispenses fuel, checks oil, maintains accurate stick and meter readings, stocks
required supplies and equipment, and coordinates the flow of buses to ensure safe operation. Performs
light maintenance as necessary to buildings and grounds.
Walk-Ins Welcome from 8:00 – 4:00 pm Monday thru Friday! Visit us to learn more about this position and apply at: 615 W 41ST ST, CHICAGO, Illinois, USA, 60609-2643 or contact us at 773-579-2960
Lot Attendants are Responsible for:
- Opens the gates to the lot and checks bus parking areas to ensure all can be dispatched in a timely manner. Re-positions any buses that may impede the traffic in the yard.
- Opens the fuel island, takes accurate stick and meter readings, and turns in inventory sheets at the end of the day.
- Maintains accurate records and completes Bulk Fuel Receiving Report, Fuel Variance Report, Closing Month-end Report and Meter Calibration Report.
- Notifies the Contract Manager or designee when a fuel delivery is required and ensures that accurate stick readings are taken before and after delivery. In addition, ensures that proper procedure is followed during delivery.
- Checks and fills the oil, antifreeze, power steering, transmission fluid, brake fluid, windshield washer fluid and belts on buses being fueled. Ensures that adequate supplies to perform checks are maintained at the fuel island. Communicates with the shop foreman regarding supplies and oil inventory dispensed into equipment.
- Twice a week, checks tires for damage and proper air pressure. Tire damage must be reported to the shop immediately.
- Inspects all buses during fueling or on a regularly scheduled basis for physical damage. Any damage will be reported immediately to the Contract Manager or designee.
- Maintains the required inventory in the spill barrel and notifies the Contract Manager any time supplies are used or replaced.
- In the event of a fuel spill, takes all necessary steps to contain the spill. The Contract Manager or designee must be notified immediately.
- Maintains adequate inventories and supplies to make minor repairs and facilitate the washing of buses.
- Performs light interior and exterior maintenance on buses or trucks as required. This includes but is not limited to seat repair, two-way radio installation and replacement, AM-FM radio installation and replacement and antenna installation and replacement, mirror adjustment and replacement, jump starting buses and lamp replacement.
- Cleans interiors and exteriors of buses as required to maintain cleanliness of the fleet.
- Performs maintenance of buildings and grounds to include yard cleanliness, grass and weeds or any other yard projects that are assigned as necessary.
- Maintains the appropriate credentials to drive a regular route or charter as required to cover the day’s activities.
- Picks up and delivers parts and buses as needed.
- Follows all safety standards and guidelines, including but not limited to: (1) The wearing of Safety Glasses, (2) The wearing of steel-toed safety shoes, (3) Safety gloves as needed, (4) Proper attire.
- Performs any other management requests or directives as requested.
Minimum Experience & Skills Required:
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Knowledge of bus maintenance.
- Ability to ensure safety.
First for a Reason
We offer competitive compensation and benefits (which vary based on role, location, and business), including physical and mental health initiatives, medical/dental/vision, 401(k), and paid holiday/vacation.
Diversity & Inclusion
Because we’re stronger together, we aspire to have a culture where all people are First. We’re committed to providing an inclusive and diverse working environment for everyone every day.
Start here. Go far. We believe in promoting from within, which means tremendous opportunities for you, thanks to our strong presence across North America. In addition, our 18-month Aspiring Manager Program prepares future leaders at First Transit.
Build skills and knowledge in such areas as safety and security, injury prevention, technology and equipment, and job efficiency.
Community Service & Impact
Go where opportunity meets community. Our customers are at the heart of everything we do. As the face of First Transit and First Vehicle Services in your community, you’ll have a positive impact on others.
We aspire to have a culture where all people are First. We strive to attract and retain a diverse workforce therefore all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status. First is also committed to providing a drug-free workplace. For candidates applying to positions in San Francisco or Los Angeles California, First will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance or Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinance. First is an equal opportunity employer and by doing so we will sustain and promote an inclusive culture that supports future growth for all.