Fleet Shop Manager
Phone Number 413-309-1224
Division First Student
Categories Maintenance Management & Supervisory
Req ID 48140
First things First: Who are we?
Twice the size of our next largest competitor, First Student is the leading school transportation solutions provider in North America. Every day, we complete 5 million student journeys, moving more passengers than all U.S. airlines combined. With a team of highly trained drivers and the industry’s strongest safety record, First Student delivers reliable, quality services including full-service transportation and management, special-needs transportation, route optimization and scheduling, maintenance, and charter services for 1,100 school district contracts.
The Shop Manager manages all location maintenance operations and provides shop staff oversight. Directly supervises shop staff. Provides maintenance operational visibility to the Location Manager. Assumes primary responsibility for managing efficient maintenance performance of the location. Ensures safe working conditions of the fleet.
SHOP MANAGER RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Schedules and administers fleet maintenance and assists in troubleshooting problems with equipment. Communicates availability of vehicles for service with dispatch and other operations personnel.
- In relation to maintenance staff, is responsible for hiring; firing; approving salary increases or decreases; training and employee development; planning and directing the work; disciplining; handling employee complaints or grievances, and handling performance reviews. While Mgr Maintenance is required to make personnel-related recommendations, some actions require further approval.
- Works closely with the Location Manager and Region Maintenance Management providing status of maintenance and budget requirements. May review financial and budget variances, review repair orders or code, and approve account payable documents.
- Ensures compliance on a day-to-day basis with State, Federal, and Company requirements. Ensures a safe environment exists and that all maintenance and related activities are in conformance with company policies and regulatory requirements.
- Reviews repair orders. May order fuel for vehicles, order parts, and subcontract repair work.
SHOP MANAGER EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE/SKILLS REQUIREMENTS:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Technical training preferred
- Possess CDL Operator’s license with required endorsements
- 5+ years of hands-on mechanical supervisory experience
- May require lifting of 20 to 50 lbs
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Computer skills
- Industry experience repairing and maintaining diesel engines and school bus equipment is preferred
First for a Reason
We offer competitive compensation and benefits (which vary based on role, location, and business), including physical and mental health initiatives, medical/dental/vision, 401(k), and paid holiday/vacation.
Start here. Go far. We believe in promoting from within which means tremendous opportunities for you, thanks to our strong presence across North America.
Build skills and knowledge in such areas as safety and security, injury prevention, technology and equipment, and job efficiency.
Diversity & Inclusion
Because we’re stronger together, we aspire to have a culture where all people are First. We’re committed to providing an inclusive and diverse working environment for everyone every day.
Community Service & Impact
Go where opportunity meets community. Our customers are at the heart of everything we do. As the face of First Student in your community, you’ll have a positive impact on others.
Apply today and get your career on the road with First Student!
We aspire to have a culture where all people are First. We strive to attract and retain a diverse workforce therefore all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status. First is also committed to providing a drug-free workplace. For candidates applying to positions in San Francisco or Los Angeles California, First will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance or Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinance. First is an equal opportunity employer and by doing so we will sustain and promote an inclusive culture that supports future growth for all.