Diesel Mechanic - Stamford Schools
Phone Number 203.977.1551
Division First Student
Req ID 41643
First Student is now hiring a Diesel Mechanic for our shop serving Darien & Stamford Public Schools!
First things First: Who are we?
Twice the size of our next largest competitor, First Student is the leading school transportation solutions provider in North America. Every day, we complete 5 million student journeys, moving more passengers than all U.S. airlines combined. With a team of highly trained drivers and the industry’s strongest safety record, First Student delivers reliable, quality services, including full-service transportation and management, special-needs transportation, route optimization and scheduling, maintenance, and charter services for 1,100 school district contracts.
Diesel Mechanic Benefits
We offer competitive hourly pay (NOT flat rate) and benefits including physical and mental health initiatives, medical/dental/vision, 401(k), and paid holiday/vacation.
- $27 - $29 per hour based on experience & qualifications (NOT flat-rate)
- An additional $.10 per hour for each ASE certification you possess or obtain!
- Company-paid ASE testing and training materials
- Monday-Friday 9:00 am - 6:30 pm full-time shift schedule, and consistent, year-round work
- Annual allowances for boots, tools, and prescription safety glasses
- Ongoing company training on a state-of-the-art online system
- Discounts on cell phone plans, new cars, and more through the Perk Spot program!
About the Diesel Mechanic Position
As a Diesel Mechanic with First Student, you will help maintain and repair school buses to ensure vehicles are safe for our customers. Other major job duties include:
- Assist with preventative maintenance (PMs), safety inspections, and annual maintenance inspections.
- Diagnose and perform all phases of vehicle and equipment repair, including brakes, suspensions, drivetrains, transmissions, and other repairs.
- Ensure work orders are completed accurately.
- Assist with road calls and emergency services as necessary.
Qualifications for Diesel Mechanic
- Valid driver’s license required; Ability to obtain CDL while employed (we train!)
- At least 1 year of automotive or diesel maintenance & repair employment experience or a combination of technical school education & experience.
- Mechanic’s toolset
- ASE certifications are preferred. Must be willing to participate in the company ASE certification program (company training, testing, and bonuses provided!
- Be subject to a drug test.
Apply today and get your career on the road with First Student!
We aspire to have a culture where all people are First. We strive to attract and retain a diverse workforce; therefore all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status. First is also committed to providing a drug-free workplace. For candidates applying to positions in San Francisco or Los Angeles California, First will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance or Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinance. First is an equal opportunity employer and by doing so we will sustain and promote an inclusive culture that supports future growth for all.