Director of Payroll
Phone Number 513-419-3250
Division First Student
Categories Executive & Senior Level Management
Req ID 41620
First things First: Who are we?
First Student, Inc. & First Transit is the largest passenger transportation company in North America, we provide passenger transport and maintenance services to municipalities, school districts and the general public in the U.S. and Canada. Our 4.8 billion operation is headquartered in Cincinnati, OH and employs more than 96,000 employees at 1,200 locations in 38 states and 7 Canadian provinces.
The Director of Payroll oversees the corporate payroll strategy, operations and optimization functions. This role is the key liaison with our outsourced payroll provider, unemployment tax advisor, and other third parties, providing strategic direction and operational guidance. This individual is a partner to the business, delivering timely, accurate, and cost effective payroll services.
- Develops the long term strategy and tactical initiatives to drive efficiency and effectiveness in delivery of payroll to the business units.
- Ensures the development of procedures and controls for the preparation, documentation and disbursement of all payroll payments, payroll taxes, employee benefit payment, and people information management for multiple entities.
- Ensures the development of policies aligned to our company policies and business objectives.
- Management and oversight of all payroll vendors, working with Procurement to develop vendor contracts. This role also manages the delivery of vendor services, driving compliance with contract service level agreements.
- Manages and administers all payroll systems to ensure integrity, privacy and integration for all payroll information repositories. Provides oversight for and compliance with HIPAA regulation and sensitive employee information policies and practices.
- Provides customer service to internal and external customers, including business analyses, reports and research. Also advises senior management on payroll trends.
- Continually seeks opportunities to deliver improved efficiency or cost reduction, while maintaining or improving employee customer service. These projects will involve influencing business unit constituents of all levels, driving to common and standard procedures and policies.
- Manages and reviews the daily and/or periodic work activities of staff, advises on assignments and lead/manage projects.
- Grows and develops staff to achieve new skills and capabilities both within and outside the Payroll function.
Minimum Experience & Skills Required
- Bachelors in Finance, Accounting or related field or equivalent experience.
- Certified Payroll Professional certification preferred.
- 10+ year’s relevant experience in Payroll or Finance related fields
- Experience driving change through large projects or initiatives that span across multiple businesses
- Leadership experience, preferably in the Payroll, Benefits, and HRIS area
- Good written and verbal skills.
- Ability to communicate and influence from senior leadership to individual contributors
- Large company payroll software.
- Experience leading large projects or initiatives
- Experience managing external vendor relationships
First for a Reason
- Community Service & Impact
Go where opportunity meets community. Our customers are at the heart of everything we do. As the face of First in your community, you’ll have a positive impact on others.
- Extensive Training
Build skills and knowledge in such areas as safety and security, injury prevention, technology and equipment, and job efficiency.
- Professional Advancement
Start here. Go far. We believe in promoting from within … which means tremendous opportunities for you, thanks to our strong presence across North America. In addition, our 18-month Aspiring Manager Program prepares future leaders at First.
- Diversity & Inclusion
Because we’re stronger together, we aspire to have a culture where all people are First. We’re committed to providing an inclusive and diverse working environment for everyone every day.
We offer competitive compensation and benefits, including physical and mental health initiatives, medical/dental/vision, 401(k), and paid holiday/vacation.
Apply today and get your career on the road with First Student, Inc. & First Transit!
We aspire to have a culture where all people are First. We strive to attract and retain a diverse workforce therefore all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status. First is also committed to providing a drug-free workplace. For candidates applying to positions in San Francisco or Los Angeles California, First will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance or Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinance. First is an equal opportunity employer and by doing so we will sustain and promote an inclusive culture that supports future growth for all.