Region Safety Manager
Phone Number 12013980143
Division First Transit
Categories Operations Management & Supervisory
Req ID 40828
First things First: Who are we?
First Transit Inc. is a leading provider of public transportation contracting and management services. For over 60 years, we have supplied precision, efficiency, innovation, and all-around expertise to both public and private transportation systems. Today, we operate in 335 locations, carrying more than 350 million passengers annually throughout the United States in 39 states, Puerto Rico, and Canada.
About the Position
Join the First Family as a Region Safety Manager. This position Ensures compliance with federal, state, provincial, and local regulations including company policy. Monitors proposed legislative initiatives for applicability to local operations. Provides safety oversight, day-to-day safety management, and overall safety support based upon company safety goals and targets. Represents the interests of the company by providing solutions to production line problems.
- Administers driver hiring and compliance process (e.g., interviewing and driver selection; drug/alcohol testing; fingerprint checks; DOT physicals; motor vehicle records checks; government forms) as applicable.
- Provides direction, guidance, and oversight to location trainers, including monitoring training hours. Manages and monitors the execution of location training programs to ensure compliance. Schedules and conducts recertification and enhancement training as required. Ensures training program materials are revised based upon company and branding requirements.
- Leads safety event investigations using the 5-Why’s or similar methodology completes collision reports, oversees collision files and enters into DMO, and collision register, and follows up with the claim’s office and adjusters as to necessary. Typically determines preventability, in conjunction with the location manager, based on the facts identified both at the scene and in investigative follow-up. Provides post safety event counseling with employees. Assists and participates in Safety Committee meetings as appropriate. Sets up regular safety event review meetings to determine the preventability of events. Monitor driver appeal process.
- Maintains compliance with all federal, provincial, state, company, and local regulations, and policies (including company SOPs), and maintains required documentation in conjunction with DMO administrators as appropriate. Reviews data and supporting documentation that is required for hire to confirm accuracy, and ensures each employee remains qualified through active monitoring/management of the DMO system for federal, provincial, state, and local regulatory compliance.
- Plans, schedules, conducts, and documents monthly safety meetings based on internal and external safety training goals and objectives.
- Provides assistance and training to employees on safety-related issues.
- Strong depth of knowledge of federal, provincial, and state rules and regulations regarding safety and environmental issues along with FMCSA and or FTA regulations
- Strong proficiency in computer literacy essential with Microsoft Office products including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook. Experience with other software such as timekeeping and payroll systems is preferred.
- Advanced skills in technology used to manage the operation include but are not limited to FGA-approved Smart technology, Apps, encrypted drives, shared drives, and other Smart technology
- Ability to effectively prioritize tasks and manage time effectively
- Effective verbal, written, and relational communication skills, with the ability to appropriately interact with employees of all levels, customers, senior management, client representatives, union officials, and community members
- Fluent in English
- Demonstrate regular and consistent attendance and punctuality
- Demonstrated ability to train, coach, and provide leadership
First for a Reason
We offer competitive compensation and benefits (which vary based on role, location, and business), including physical and mental health initiatives, medical/dental/vision, 401(k), and paid holiday/vacation.
Diversity & Inclusion
Because we’re stronger together, we aspire to have a culture where all people are First. We’re committed to providing an inclusive and diverse working environment for everyone every day.
Start here. Go far. We believe in promoting from within, which means tremendous opportunities for you, thanks to our strong presence across North America. In addition, our 18-month Aspiring Manager Program prepares future leaders at First Transit.
Build skills and knowledge in such areas as safety and security, injury prevention, technology and equipment, and job efficiency.
Community Service & Impact
Go where opportunity meets community. Our customers are at the heart of everything we do. As the face of First Transit and First Vehicle Services in your community, you’ll have a positive impact on others.
Apply today and get your career on the road with First Transit!
We aspire to have a culture where all people are First. We strive to attract and retain a diverse workforce therefore all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status. First is also committed to providing a drug-free workplace. For candidates applying to positions in San Francisco or Los Angeles California, First will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance or Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinance. First is an equal opportunity employer and by doing so we will sustain and promote an inclusive culture that supports future growth for all.