Phone Number 2173444586
Division First Student
Categories Operations Management & Supervisory
Req ID 40789
First things First: Who are we?
Twice the size of our next largest competitor, First Student is the leading school transportation solutions provider in North America. Every day, we complete 5 million student journeys, moving more passengers than all U.S. airlines combined. With a team of highly trained drivers and the industry’s strongest safety record, First Student delivers reliable, quality services including full-service transportation and management, special-needs transportation, route optimization and scheduling, maintenance, and charter services for 1,100 school district contracts.
About the Position
The Operations Supervisor Assists the Contract Manager in supervising daily operations, monitors driver performance, identifies safety issues and operational inefficiencies and takes actions to resolve issues and/or discusses recommendations with Contract Manager.
- Reviews calculated athletic trip tickets for accuracy and makes corrections as needed.
- Ensures home to school routes are covered in a timely and efficient manner, working with Dispatch.
- Interfaces with drivers about their concerns and performance issues; ensures driver awareness of sleeping children and placard programs.
- Investigates client complaints (school administrators, teachers, parents, students) and coordinates resolution.
- Works with supervisors and the drivers in getting students to school on time
- Ensures achievement of on time performance goals, working with school district staff, drivers, and dispatch (e.g., eliminate early or late arriving buses.
- Monitors driver safety and makes Injury Prevention (IP) contacts with drivers to identify and resolve safety issues; participates in safety meetings. Initiates disciplinary action for drivers(e.g., absence, tardiness) consistent with company policy.
- Monitors attendance for home to school and athletics to ensure attendance is at appropriate levels.
- Coordinates summer school requests, working with school staff and Contract Manager.
- Assists Contract Manager with review and resolution of union grievances.
- Ensures dispatch staff assigns spare drivers and buses as required or provide on time coverage of routes.
- Other duties as assigned
- 3-5 years experience in transportation
- 2-3 years supervisory experience preferred
- Computer literate with working knowledge of Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Familiar with basic vehicle mechanical processes and maintenance
- Ability to effectively prioritize tasks and manage time effectively
- Good verbal, written, and relational communication skills, with ability to appropriately interact with employees of all levels including drivers, customers, senior management, client representatives, union officials, and general public
- Fluent in English
- Work extended hours regularly, including weekends
- Demonstrate regular and consistent attendance and punctuality
- Possess working vehicle to travel with in service area as needed
First for a Reason
We offer competitive compensation and benefits (which vary based on role, location, and business), including physical and mental health initiatives, medical/dental/vision, 401(k), and paid holiday/vacation.
Diversity & Inclusion
Because we’re stronger together, we aspire to have a culture where all people are First. We’re committed to providing an inclusive and diverse working environment for everyone every day.
Start here. Go far. We believe in promoting from within, which means tremendous opportunities for you, thanks to our strong presence across North America. In addition, our 18-month Aspiring Manager Program prepares future leaders at First Transit.
Build skills and knowledge in such areas as safety and security, injury prevention, technology and equipment, and job efficiency.
Community Service & Impact
Go where opportunity meets community. Our customers are at the heart of everything we do. As the face of First Transit and First Vehicle Services in your community, you’ll have a positive impact on others.
About First America
First is the largest passenger transportation company in North America, we provide passenger transport and maintenance services to municipalities, school districts, and the general public in the U.S. and Canada. Our 4.8 billion operation is headquartered in Cincinnati, OH, and employs more than 96,000 employees at 1,200 locations in 38 states and 7 Canadian provinces.
Apply today and get your career on the road with First!
We aspire to have a culture where all people are First. We strive to attract and retain a diverse workforce therefore all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status. First is also committed to providing a drug-free workplace. For candidates applying to positions in San Francisco or Los Angeles California, First will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance or Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinance. First is an equal opportunity employer and by doing so we will sustain and promote an inclusive culture that supports future growth for all.