Region Assistant Controller
Phone Number 901-310-3320
Division First Student
Categories Professional & Corporate
Req ID 40517
First things First: Who are we?
Twice the size of our next largest competitor, First Student is the leading school transportation solutions provider in North America. Every day, we complete 5 million student journeys, moving more passengers than all U.S. airlines combined. With a team of highly trained drivers and the industry’s strongest safety record, First Student delivers reliable, quality services including full-service transportation and management, special-needs transportation, route optimization and scheduling, maintenance, and charter services for 1,100 school district contracts.
More about the Region Assistant Controller Opening:
The Region Assistant Controller provides financial support to operations for assigned geographic area; they will also protect and monitor company assets and analyze operating results. The Region Assistant Controller supports the RFD and regional management in contract analysis, forecasting, and budgeting. Finally, they assist with the interpretation and implementation of the company’s accounting policies and procedures.
- Assists with location level audits of accounting transactions and procedures to ensure compliance with IFRS and company policies. Makes recommendations and ensures that corrective actions are taken.
- Trains and assists location personnel in the region’s accounting systems and procedures. Conducts training sessions to raise financial competency of location and other management as needed.
- Reviews and monitors fleet, including cascading, right sizing, and lost business transitions for the Region. Reviews the capital request process.
- Reviews and analyzes fleet systems (i.e., auditing, accounting, and vehicle maintenance systems to make sure it represents the proper fleet figures), including performance of a periodic physical audit.
- Assists with the development of contract bids and rate calculations and ensures reasonableness of financial assumptions. Prepares financial models for contract analysis.
- Assists with the preparation of the month end close and financial reporting statements as needed.
- Manages journal entries and analyzes location level income statements.
- Prepares the yearly operating plan and monthly forecast for assigned locations.
- Performs special projects and analysis, prepares various reports for operations and other management as necessary.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance
- CPA, CMA, or MBA preferred
- 5+ years’ experience in accounting/finance
- Experience in building detailed budgets and forecasts.
- Accounting and finance experience in a multi-site environment preferred
- Incumbent must be able to move about the office and between floors; utilize standard office equipment; access filing system/cabinets; and communicate effectively and efficiently in person or by telephone.
First for a Reason
We offer competitive compensation and benefits (which vary based on role, location, and business), including physical and mental health initiatives, medical/dental/vision, 401(k), and paid holiday/vacation.
Start here. Go far. We believe in promoting from within which means tremendous opportunities for you, thanks to our strong presence across North America. In addition, our 18-month Aspiring Manager Program prepares future leaders at First Student or First Transit.
Build skills and knowledge in such areas as safety and security, injury prevention, technology and equipment, and job efficiency.
Diversity & Inclusion
Because we’re stronger together, we aspire to have a culture where all people are First. We’re committed to providing an inclusive and diverse working environment for everyone every day.
Community Service & Impact
Go where opportunity meets community. Our customers are at the heart of everything we do. As the face of First Student, First Transit and First Vehicle Services in your community, you’ll have a positive impact on others.
About First America
First America is the largest passenger transportation company in North America, we provide passenger transport and maintenance services to municipalities, school districts and the general public in the U.S. and Canada. Our 4.8 billion operation is headquartered in Cincinnati, OH and employs more than 96,000 employees at 1,200 locations in 38 states and 7 Canadian provinces.
Apply today and get your career on the road with First Student!
We aspire to have a culture where all people are First. We strive to attract and retain a diverse workforce therefore all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status. First is also committed to providing a drug-free workplace. For candidates applying to positions in San Francisco or Los Angeles California, First will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance or Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinance. First is an equal opportunity employer and by doing so we will sustain and promote an inclusive culture that supports future growth for all.