Transportation Operations Supervisor
Phone Number .
Division First Student
Categories Operations Management & Supervisory
Req ID 38405
First things First: Who are we?
Twice the size of our next largest competitor, First Student is the leading school transportation solutions provider in North America. Every day, we complete 5 million student journeys, moving more passengers than all U.S. airlines combined. With a team of highly trained drivers and the industry’s strongest safety record, First Student delivers reliable, quality services including full-service transportation and management, special-needs transportation, route optimization and scheduling, maintenance, and charter services for 1,100 school district contracts.
About the Position
The Operations Supervisor is in charge of all day-to-day field operations. This includes the field direction and guidance of all staff to maintain high levels of customer service and efficiency in a safe manner. The Operations Supervisor is responsible for driver check-in processes, assignments of work, and mandatory overtime assignments if needed.
- Communicates job requirements and responsibilities to drivers
- Day to day counseling and evaluation reports to local management
- Ensures drivers are performing assigned duties correctly and safely and that they meet all job-related specifications
- Investigates incidents and accidents including on-the-scene accidents and assist drivers in preparing accident reports, OHSA reports, and any other safety-related documentation as required
- Liaises with both clients and drivers/the organization re customer service issues and responds professionally to customer inquiries/comments
- Evaluates and monitors driver safety and performance as well as compliance with legal employment/labor policy matters.
- Assists with the Driver recruitment process
- Prepares operational reports/schedules and maintains accurate daily records of operations
- May also be required to conduct road checks, routing, training, and other relevant tasks as required
- Meets with all driver qualifications at location
- Obtains CDL to operate vehicles at the location, maintains that license, and drives periodically
- Any additional related tasks/duties as assigned
- Supervisory capability with a diverse workforce
- Proficiency using MS Office products including MS Excel and MS Word and Windows-based programs
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proficient with basic math skills
- Previous transportation knowledge, an asset
- Ability to multitask and work independently in a fast-paced/high energy environment
- Exceptional customer service, problem-solving, decision making, critical thinking abilities
First for a Reason
We offer competitive compensation and benefits (which vary based on role, location, and business), including physical and mental health initiatives, medical/dental/vision, 401(k), and paid holiday/vacation.
Diversity & Inclusion
Because we’re stronger together, we aspire to have a culture where all people are First. We’re committed to providing an inclusive and diverse working environment for everyone every day.
Start here. Go far. We believe in promoting from within, which means tremendous opportunities for you, thanks to our strong presence across North America. In addition, our 18-month Aspiring Manager Program prepares future leaders at First Transit.
Build skills and knowledge in such areas as safety and security, injury prevention, technology and equipment, and job efficiency.
Community Service & Impact
Go where opportunity meets community. Our customers are at the heart of everything we do. As the face of First Transit and First Vehicle Services in your community, you’ll have a positive impact on others.
About First America
First is the largest passenger transportation company in North America, we provide passenger transport and maintenance services to municipalities, school districts, and the general public in the U.S. and Canada. Our 4.8 billion operation is headquartered in Cincinnati, OH, and employs more than 96,000 employees at 1,200 locations in 38 states and 7 Canadian provinces.
Apply today and get your career on the road with First!
We aspire to have a culture where all people are First. We strive to attract and retain a diverse workforce therefore all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status. First is also committed to providing a drug-free workplace. For candidates applying to positions in San Francisco or Los Angeles California, First will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance or Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinance. First is an equal opportunity employer and by doing so we will sustain and promote an inclusive culture that supports future growth for all.