Fleet Maintenance Manager
Phone Number 630-675-8494
Division First Student
Categories Maintenance Management & Supervisory
Req ID 38293
First things First: Who are we?
Twice the size of our next largest competitor, First Student is the leading school transportation solutions provider in North America. Every day, we complete 5 million student journeys, moving more passengers than all U.S. airlines combined. With a team of highly trained drivers and the industry’s strongest safety record, First Student delivers reliable, quality services including full-service transportation and management, special-needs transportation, route optimization and scheduling, maintenance, and charter services for 1,100 school district contracts.
About the Position
As a Fleet Maintenance Manager with First Student, you will supervise the maintenance and repair of a fleet of 103 International, Thomas & GM vehicles for Jefferson City & Missouri State Schools! In this role, you will be responsible for supervising 3 technicians and ensuring they are trained on current operating procedures, properly equipped, and motivated so that the maintenance program can be accomplished in a safe, timely and cost-effective manner. Shop operations are Monday-Friday 5am-7pm. Other major responsibilities as Fleet Maintenance Manager will include:
- Schedule and administer fleet maintenance and assists in troubleshooting problems with vehicles and equipment.
- Make employment decisions, supervise maintenance staff, delegate the work and handle employee relations
- Work closely with the location and region management teams providing maintenance status, vehicle availability, and budget updates. Review financial and budget variances and accounts payable documents.
- Ensure a safe environment exists and all maintenance activities are in compliance with State, Federal and Company requirements.
- Initiate and implement projects that improve efficiency and/or reduce operating costs.
- High school diploma or GED equivalent; Technical training preferred
- Valid driver's license
- 5+ years of hands-on mechanical supervisory experience
- Industry experience repairing and maintaining automotive and diesel vehicles
- Excellent computer skills and experience with Microsoft Office
- ASE Master certification strongly preferred; must be able to obtain while employed
- Subject to a drug test
First for a Reason
We offer competitive pay and benefits including physical and mental health initiatives, medical/dental/vision, 401(k), and paid holiday/vacation.
Start here. Go far. We believe in promoting from within which means tremendous opportunities for you, thanks to our strong presence across North America. In addition, our 18-month Aspiring Manager Program prepares future leaders at First Student or First Transit.
Build skills and knowledge in such areas as safety and security, injury prevention, technology and equipment, and job efficiency.
Diversity & Inclusion
Because we’re stronger together, we aspire to have a culture where all people are First. We’re committed to providing an inclusive and diverse working environment for everyone every day.
Community Service & Impact
Go where opportunity meets community. Our customers are at the heart of everything we do. As the face of First Student, First Transit and First Vehicle Services in your community, you’ll have a positive impact on others.
Apply today and get your career on the road with First Student!
We aspire to have a culture where all people are First. We strive to attract and retain a diverse workforce therefore all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status. First is also committed to providing a drug-free workplace. For candidates applying to positions in San Francisco or Los Angeles California, First will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance or Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinance. First is an equal opportunity employer and by doing so we will sustain and promote an inclusive culture that supports future growth for all.