Region Safety Director
Phone Number .
Division First Transit
Categories Executive & Senior Level Management
Req ID 38138
First things First: Who are we?
First America is the largest passenger transportation company in North America, we provide passenger transport and maintenance services to municipalities, school districts and the general public in the U.S. and Canada. Our 4.8 billion operation is headquartered in Cincinnati, OH and employs more than 96,000 employees at 1,200 locations in 38 states and 7 Canadian provinces.
At First Transit, the Region Safety Director provides safety oversight, day-to-day management, customer interface, and required reporting and compliance mandates (both internal and external) for a specific region. They support the safety/security of all operational, facility and workshop activities within the region. They also provide the regional oversight to support compliance with all company, Federal, State, Provincial, Territorial and Client regulations. The Region Safety Director serves as the conduit for the collection and reporting of all safety performance related data from the region.
Region Safety Director Responsibilities:
- Ensures the safe transportation of passengers to and from their destinations.
- Measures and monitors compliance with company, federal, state, and client regulations.
- Coordinates the support, roll out, and project management of all new safety initiatives within their region.
- Manages data collection from all locations within their given region, necessary to complete monthly safety reports.
- Leads by example. Builds and maintains strong positive teams through effective recruiting, on-boarding, training, coaching, team building, and succession planning.
- Works with the locations to ensure a proper analysis is conducted of each safety event occurring which results in an injury to an employee, passenger, motorist, pedestrian etc. or any other serious safety event which may not have included an injury.
- Identifies safety trends within the regions/locations and recommends corrective actions.
- Trains all safety personnel and managers within the region on all safety programs.
- Champions new changes or company initiatives within their region.
- Assists with the Risk Department with management and legal support for injuries and collisions within the region.
- Has direct responsibility to ensure proper driving trainer staffing levels. Work closely with operations and HR to identify trainer needs and effectively administer driver onboarding.
Region Safety Director Experience and Skills Required:
- 7 years proven experience in safety/ transportation or comparable service industry, showing a consistent upward employment progression.
- Experience managing multiple sites.
- 5+ years management experience.
- BA or BS in related field (preferred).
- OSHA 10-hr./30-hr. training course (highly preferred).
- Training or experience in collision investigation.
- Demonstrate leadership, decision-making, and team building skills.
- Strong proficiency in computer literacy essential with Microsoft Office products including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook. Experience with other software such as timekeeping and payroll systems is preferred.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- State Instructor Certification in at least one of the States in the Region.
- Certified Smith System Defensive Driving Instructor.
- Must be able to lead behavioral change by motivating others and inspiring them to become safety leaders.
- Travel required at least 50% of the time.
First for a Reason
- Community Service & Impact
Go where opportunity meets community. Our customers are at the heart of everything we do. As the face of First Student, First Transit and First Vehicle Services in your community, you’ll have a positive impact on others.
- Extensive Training
Build skills and knowledge in such areas as safety and security, injury prevention, technology and equipment, and job efficiency.
- Professional Advancement
Start here. Go far. We believe in promoting from within … which means tremendous opportunities for you, thanks to our strong presence across North America. In addition, our 18-month Aspiring Manager Program prepares future leaders at First Student or First Transit.
- Diversity & Inclusion
Because we’re stronger together, we aspire to have a culture where all people are First. We’re committed to providing an inclusive and diverse working environment for everyone every day.
We offer competitive compensation and benefits, including physical and mental health initiatives, medical/dental/vision, 401(k), and paid holiday/vacation.
About First Transit
First Transit Inc. is a leading provider of public transportation contracting and management services. For over 60 years, we have supplied precision, efficiency, innovation, and all-around expertise to both public and private transportation systems. Today, we operate in 335 locations, carrying more than 350 million passengers annually throughout the United States in 39 states, Puerto Rico and Canada.
About First Vehicle Services
First Vehicle Services is a leading provider of diverse fleet management and maintenance services in North America. Since 1981, First Vehicle Services has been providing efficient and cost-effective vehicle management and maintenance services at governments, school districts, petrochemical companies, transit agencies, airports, universities, and private organizations throughout the United States.
Apply today and get your career on the road with First America!
We aspire to have a culture where all people are First. We strive to attract and retain a diverse workforce therefore all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status. First is also committed to providing a drug-free workplace. For candidates applying to positions in San Francisco or Los Angeles California, First will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance or Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinance. First is an equal opportunity employer and by doing so we will sustain and promote an inclusive culture that supports future growth for all.