Phone Number 301-600-7324
Division First Student
Req ID 38120
First things First: Who are we?
Twice the size of our next largest competitor, First Student is the leading school transportation solutions provider in North America. Every day, we complete 5 million student journeys, moving more passengers than all U.S. airlines combined. With a team of highly trained drivers and the industry’s strongest safety record, First Student delivers reliable, quality services including full-service transportation and management, special-needs transportation, route optimization, and scheduling, maintenance, and charter services for 1,100 school district contracts.
We offer competitive compensation and benefits (which vary based on role, location, and business), including physical and mental health initiatives, medical/dental/vision, 401(k), and paid holiday/vacation.
- $24.50 - $26.50 hourly wages are based on experience & qualifications (NOT flat-rate)
- Annual allowances for boots and prescription safety glasses
- Work shifts are Monday - Friday
This First Student location we service, repair, and operate some really exciting diesel-powered vehicles and equipment, serving the Danbury School District.
- Perform vehicle maintenance and repairs to ensure vehicles are safe for our customers.
- Assist with preventative maintenance (PMs), safety inspections, and annual maintenance inspections.
- Assist in accurately diagnosing and performing mechanical repairs including the repair of brakes, suspensions, drivetrains, transmissions, and other repairs under direct supervision.
- Ensure work orders are completed properly and accurately. Maintain records of all maintenance work completed including parts and supplies used.
- Evaluate completed work prior to release and seek supervisor approval where required.
- Assist with road calls and emergency services as necessary.
- A vocational or technical degree in vehicle maintenance is preferred.
- Valid driver’s license required.
- Must be able to obtain a CDL B with passenger and airbrake endorsements within 6 (six) months of hire. We Train!
- A minimum of 1 year of automotive or diesel repair employment experience or a combination of education & experience.
- Must have appropriate mechanic’s toolset.
- ASE certifications preferred. Must participate in company ASE certification program (company training, testing, and bonuses provided!)
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
First for a Reason
Start here. Go far. We believe in promoting from within which means tremendous opportunities for you, thanks to our strong presence across North America. In addition, our 18-month Aspiring Manager Program prepares future leaders at First Student or First Transit.
Build skills and knowledge in such areas as safety and security, injury prevention, technology and equipment, and job efficiency.
Diversity & Inclusion
Because we’re stronger together, we aspire to have a culture where all people are First. We’re committed to providing an inclusive and diverse working environment for everyone every day.
Community Service & Impact
Go where opportunity meets community. Our customers are at the heart of everything we do. As the face of First Student, First Transit and First Vehicle Services in your community, you’ll have a positive impact on others.
About First America
First America is the largest passenger transportation company in North America, we provide passenger transport and maintenance services to municipalities, school districts, and the general public in the U.S. and Canada. Our 4.8 billion operation is headquartered in Cincinnati, OH, and employs more than 96,000 employees at 1,200 locations in 38 states and 7 Canadian provinces.
Apply today and get your career on the road with First Student!
We aspire to have a culture where all people are First. We strive to attract and retain a diverse workforce therefore all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status. First is also committed to providing a drug-free workplace. For candidates applying to positions in San Francisco or Los Angeles California, First will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance or Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinance. First is an equal opportunity employer and by doing so we will sustain and promote an inclusive culture that supports future growth for all.