Phone Number .
Categories Executive & Senior Level Management
Req ID 38060
First things First: Who are we?
First America is the largest passenger transportation company in North America, we provide passenger transport and maintenance services to municipalities, school districts and the general public in the U.S. and Canada. Our 4.8 billion operation is headquartered in Cincinnati, OH and employs more than 96,000 employees at 1,200 locations in 38 states and 7 Canadian provinces.
As an Assistant Controller you will be responsible for directing preparation of financial reports, statements, audits, and controls for the shared services accounting department. Oversee the various finance functions, systems, and processes that comprise the finance shard services activities for First Student and First Transit. Support the external audit engagement/process. Partner with Sr. Manager of NIIC and external reporting to ensure accuracy of accounts and reporting. Lead various special projects for either the shared services functions or the two operating companies.
- Oversee the accounting systems and processes for First Student, First Transit, and the consolidated entities.
- Possess technical accounting expertise in IFRS and GAAP principles. Specifically have strong experience in M&A, JV, and goodwill accounting.
- Supports the company’s interface with external auditors. Ensure accounting and control practices are deemed well controlled.
- Support/lead shared services accounting department in preparation of financial accounts and reports.
- Build and maintain a strong positive and productive team through effective recruiting, on-boarding, training, team building, performance management and succession planning.
- Establishes internal controls and audit procedures to ensure proper financial management.
- As needed, lead various special projects across shared services, First Student and First Transit.
Experience & Skills Required:
- BA/BS Degree in Accounting.
- Active CPA is required and must be maintained.
- MBA preferred, but not required.
- At least eight to ten years’ experience in all aspects of accounting and be well versed in issues encountered by controller.
- Displays the ability to inspire, motivate, and influence others to achieve goals and objectives.
- Exceptional analytical and problem solving abilities.
- Ability to work and interact with departments throughout the organization.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
First for a Reason
- Community Service & Impact
Go where opportunity meets community. Our customers are at the heart of everything we do. As the face of First Student, First Transit and First Vehicle Services in your community, you’ll have a positive impact on others.
- Extensive Training
Build skills and knowledge in such areas as safety and security, injury prevention, technology and equipment, and job efficiency.
- Professional Advancement
Start here. Go far. We believe in promoting from within … which means tremendous opportunities for you, thanks to our strong presence across North America. In addition, our 18-month Aspiring Manager Program prepares future leaders at First Student or First Transit.
- Diversity & Inclusion
Because we’re stronger together, we aspire to have a culture where all people are First. We’re committed to providing an inclusive and diverse working environment for everyone every day.
We offer competitive compensation and benefits, including physical and mental health initiatives, medical/dental/vision, 401(k), and paid holiday/vacation.
About First Student
Twice the size of our next largest competitor, First Student is the leading school transportation solutions provider in North America. Every day, we complete 5 million student journeys, moving more passengers than all U.S. airlines combined. With a team of highly trained drivers and the industry’s strongest safety record, First Student delivers reliable, quality services including full-service transportation and management, special-needs transportation, route optimization and scheduling, maintenance, and charter services for 1,100 school district contracts.
About First Transit
First Transit Inc. is a leading provider of public transportation contracting and management services. For over 60 years, we have supplied precision, efficiency, innovation, and all-around expertise to both public and private transportation systems. Today, we operate in 335 locations, carrying more than 350 million passengers annually throughout the United States in 39 states, Puerto Rico and Canada.
About First Vehicle Services
First Vehicle Services is a leading provider of diverse fleet management and maintenance services in North America. Since 1981, First Vehicle Services has been providing efficient and cost-effective vehicle management and maintenance services at governments, school districts, petrochemical companies, transit agencies, airports, universities, and private organizations throughout the United States.
Apply today and get your career on the road with First America!
We aspire to have a culture where all people are First. We strive to attract and retain a diverse workforce therefore all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status. First is also committed to providing a drug-free workplace. For candidates applying to positions in San Francisco or Los Angeles California, First will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance or Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinance. First is an equal opportunity employer and by doing so we will sustain and promote an inclusive culture that supports future growth for all.