Phone Number 908-616-5534
Division First Student
Req ID 37997
First things First: Who are we?
Twice the size of our next largest competitor, First Student is the leading school transportation solutions provider in North America. Every day, we complete 5 million student journeys, moving more passengers than all U.S. airlines combined. With a team of highly trained drivers and the industry’s strongest safety record, First Student delivers reliable, quality services including full-service transportation and management, special-needs transportation, route optimization and scheduling, maintenance, and charter services for 1,100 school district contracts.
We offer competitive compensation and benefits (which vary based on role, location, and business), including physical and mental health initiatives, medical/dental/vision, 401(k), and paid holiday/vacation.
- $31.16 hourly wages is based on experience & qualifications (NOT flat-rate)
- Annual allowances for boots and prescription safety glasses
- Annual Tool Allowance
- Annual Boot Allowance of $150
- ASE bonus is additional $.10 per hour per test passed
- L1 & L2 are $.15 per hour per test passed.
- Available shifts are Monday - Friday 6:00 am - 2:30 pm or 8:00am - 5:00 pm
This First Student location we service, repair, and operate some really exciting gasoline powered vehicles and equipment, serving Yonkers Public School, New Rochelle City School District, and Mount Vernon City School District.
- Performing vehicle maintenance to the First Student standards.
- Diagnosing all phases of vehicle and equipment repair.
- Removing, cleaning, repairing, reinstalling, and adjusting vehicle components (Engine Emission Components, Driveline Components, Electrical/Electronic Components, Brakes/Suspension/Steering/Exhaust, Cab/Chassis, and Hydraulics).
- Selecting an appropriate course of action for repairs.
- Moving vehicles safely between job and work area.
- A vocational or technical degree in vehicle maintenance is preferred.
- Valid driver’s license required.
- Must be able to obtain a CDL B with passenger and airbrake endorsements within 6 (six) months of hire. We Train!
- Advanced mechanical aptitude and 5 years of industrial diesel fleet repair experience are required.
- Must possess an appropriate mechanic's toolset to complete all assigned duties and maintain in a clean and safe manner
- ASE certifications preferred. Must participate in company ASE certification program (company training, testing, and bonuses provided!)
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
First for a Reason
Start here. Go far. We believe in promoting from within which means tremendous opportunities for you, thanks to our strong presence across North America. In addition, our 18-month Aspiring Manager Program prepares future leaders at First Student or First Transit.
Build skills and knowledge in such areas as safety and security, injury prevention, technology and equipment, and job efficiency.
Diversity & Inclusion
Because we’re stronger together, we aspire to have a culture where all people are First. We’re committed to providing an inclusive and diverse working environment for everyone every day.
Community Service & Impact
Go where opportunity meets community. Our customers are at the heart of everything we do. As the face of First Student, First Transit and First Vehicle Services in your community, you’ll have a positive impact on others.
About First America
First America is the largest passenger transportation company in North America, we provide passenger transport and maintenance services to municipalities, school districts and the general public in the U.S. and Canada. Our 4.8 billion operation is headquartered in Cincinnati, OH and employs more than 96,000 employees at 1,200 locations in 38 states and 7 Canadian provinces.
Apply today and get your career on the road with First Student!
We aspire to have a culture where all people are First. We strive to attract and retain a diverse workforce therefore all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status. First is also committed to providing a drug-free workplace. For candidates applying to positions in San Francisco or Los Angeles California, First will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance or Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinance. First is an equal opportunity employer and by doing so we will sustain and promote an inclusive culture that supports future growth for all.