Regional Safety Director
Phone Number .
Division First Student
Categories Executive & Senior Level Management
Req ID 37711
First things First: Who are we?
Twice the size of our next largest competitor, First Student is the leading school transportation solutions provider in North America. Every day, we complete 5 million student journeys, moving more passengers than all U.S. airlines combined. With a team of highly trained drivers and the industry’s strongest safety record, First Student delivers reliable, quality services including full-service transportation and management, special-needs transportation, route optimization and scheduling, maintenance, and charter services for 1,100 school district contracts.
First for a Reason
Community Service & Impact
Go where opportunity meets community. Our customers are at the heart of everything we do. As the face of First Student, First Transit and First Vehicle Services in your community, you’ll have a positive impact on others.
Build skills and knowledge in such areas as safety and security, injury prevention, technology and equipment, and job efficiency.
Start here. Go far. We believe in promoting from within … which means tremendous opportunities for you, thanks to our strong presence across North America. In addition, our 18-month Aspiring Manager Program prepares future leaders at First Student or First Transit.
Diversity & Inclusion
Because we’re stronger together, we aspire to have a culture where all people are First. We’re committed to providing an inclusive and diverse working environment for everyone every day.
We offer competitive compensation and benefits (which vary based on role, location, and business), including physical and mental health initiatives, medical/dental/vision, 401(k), and paid holiday/vacation.
About the Regional Safety Director Position
As a Regional Safety Director, you will provide safety oversight, day-to-day management, customer interface, and required reporting and compliance mandates (both internal and external) for a specific area within our South Region. You will support the safety/security of all operational, facility, and workshop activities within the region. The Regional Safety Director provides the regional oversight to support compliance with all company, Federal, State, Provincial, Territorial, and Client regulations and serves as the conduit for the collection and reporting of all safety performance-related data from the region.
- Ensures the safe transportation of passengers to and from their destinations.
- Measures and monitors compliance with company and agency policies and procedures.
- Coordinates the support, roll out and project management of all new safety initiatives, training. and other safety activities within their region.
- Manages and collects all information and data from locations within the regions necessary to complete monthly safety reports in accordance with all deadlines.
- Builds and maintains a strong positive Area/Location Safety teams through effective recruiting, on-boarding, training, coaching, team building and succession planning.
- Works with the locations to ensure a proper analysis is conducted of each safety event occurring in the region.
- Identifies safety trends within the regions/locations and using the trend information to recommend corrective actions.
- Has direct responsibility to ensure proper driving trainer staffing levels.
- Other responsibilities as requested or required
- College degree preferred
- 7 years proven experience in Safety/transportation and/or student transportation or comparable service industry showing consistent successful upward employment progression with multi-site responsibilities or 5+ years management experience.
- Collision Investigation training.
- Ability to interpret data and perform root cause analysis and assist others.
- State Instructor Certification in at least one of the states in the Region.
- Certified Smith System Defensive Driving Instructor.
- Experience leading change.
About First America
First America is the largest passenger transportation company in North America, we provide passenger transport and maintenance services to municipalities, school districts and the general public in the U.S. and Canada. Our 4.8 billion operation is headquartered in Cincinnati, OH and employs more than 96,000 employees at 1,200 locations in 38 states and 7 Canadian provinces.
Apply today and get your career on the road with First America!
We aspire to have a culture where all people are First. We strive to attract and retain a diverse workforce therefore all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status. First is also committed to providing a drug-free workplace. For candidates applying to positions in San Francisco or Los Angeles California, First will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance or Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinance. First is an equal opportunity employer and by doing so we will sustain and promote an inclusive culture that supports future growth for all.