Lead Diesel Mechanic - Shop Foreman
Phone Number 630-675-8494
Division First Student
Categories Maintenance Management & Supervisory
Req ID 37638
Lead Fleet Maintenance Technician / Shop Foreman
First Student, the largest provider of student transportation in North America, is now hiring a Shop Foreman / Technician In-Charge for our South Sioux City, NE location!
First Student is proud to offer:
- $26-$28 per hour based on experience & qualifications (NOT flat rate)
- ASE certification bonus money & company-paid ASE testing and training materials
- Monday-Friday full-time shift schedule, and consistent, year-round work
- An excellent benefits package including medical, vision, and dental coverage, and 401(k) savings plan
- Paid holidays, vacation, & sick time
- Annual allowances for boots and prescription safety glasses
- Ongoing company training on state-of-the-art online system
- Opportunities for career advancement nationwide
- A great work environment!
Lead Fleet Mechanic Major Responsibilities:
- Schedule and administer fleet maintenance, assisting in diagnosing and troubleshooting complex problems. Assign work to technicians and maintain records of use, mileage, maintenance, repairs, and service.
- Maintain advanced knowledge of all vehicle components to effectively diagnose and perform maintenance and repairs.
- Road test vehicles to determine necessary repairs.
- Supervise technicians in shop. Make hiring and termination decisions in concert with location management and human resources. Conduct regular performance evaluations.
- Provide employee training and coaching.
- Conduct daily shop huddles and fleet walks.
- Ensure all repairs and maintenance are performed in a safe, efficient, and timely manner following company procedures and federal and state regulations.
- Oversee shop inventory to ensure necessary equipment and parts levels are maintained. Order parts and subcontract repair work as needed.
- Work closely with location management to provide status of maintenance and budget requirements.
- Communicate availability of vehicles for service with dispatch, maintenance manager and other operations employees.
- Monitor shop operational performance and efficiency and take action to improve as needed.
- Perform hands on work activities as required, including assisting technicians.
- Complete special projects as assigned.
Lead Fleet Mechanic Qualifications:
- Vocational or technical degree in vehicle maintenance is preferred.
- Valid driver’s license required.
- 3+ years of automotive or diesel repair employment experience or combination of education & experience.
- At least 1 year of experience as lead technician, supervisor or other management role preferred.
- Solid aptitude in planning and scheduling maintenance repairs.
- Advanced diagnostics skills and mechanical knowledge are required.
- Must have appropriate mechanic’s tool set.
- ASE certifications preferred. Must participate in company ASE certification program (company training, testing, and bonuses provided!).
- Strong experience with computers, web-based applications, and computerized diagnostics
- Good team-building skills.
- Strong customer service and organizational skills.
- Ability to work assigned shift.
- Be subject to a drug test
Apply today to join our team!
First Student (a division of FirstGroup America) is a leading provider of school transportation services. We operate in 460 locations across the US and Canada, working with school districts to provide safe, reliable, and cost-effective transportation for five million students per school day. We employ more than 48,000 people and operate and maintain over 43,000 buses.
FirstGroup is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status. FirstGroup is also committed to providing a drug-free workplace. For candidates applying to positions in San Francisco or Los Angeles, California, FirstGroup will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance or Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinance.